Practicing the art of niceness sounds bizarre
1. Resilience – keeping going when things are looking dark. Reversals are normal. Human nature is tough.
2. Empathy – connect with the suffering and unique experience of another person. Courage to become someone else.
3. Patience – We believe things should be perfect. Grow calmer and more forgiving by getting more realistic about how things actually go.
4. Sacrifice – Hardwired to seek our own advantage. We wont ever manage to raise a family, love someone else, or save the planet without the art of sacrifice
5. Politeness – Given what most of us are like deep down, we should spare others too much exposure to our deeper selves. Learn manners which arent evil but necessary rules for civilization. Politeness linked to tolerance.
6. Humor – Integral part to wisdom. Like anger, humor springs from disappointment – but optimally channeled. One of the best things to do with our sadness.
7. Self awareness – to know oneself is to not to blame others for ones troubles and moods. Have a sense of what stays inside and what belongs to the world.
8. Forgiveness – long memory of times someone cut us slack. Living with others isnt possible wo excusing errors.
9. Hope – still only at beginning of history. pessimism isnt deep nor optimism shallow.
10. Confidence – greatest projects die bc we dont dare. Based on constant awareness of how short life is and how little we lose from risking everything.